News - Full Report
Newsletter - February 2008
What a privilege and pleasure for the Board members to welcome one and all into a brand new year in fellowship with Jesus and with each other. A brand new year in which to see God’s Hand at work, to see stepping stones rather than stumbling blocks and to be Blessed to be a Blessing.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not see it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
The folk on the Board during 2008, with God’s help, will be serving you with dedication and love. Please feel free to approach any one should the need arise to bring something
to the Board for consideration.
Brother, sister, let us serve you, let us be as Christ to you.
Meet your Board on page 9 of this publication …:
To all those members of our Emmaus family whose children
wrote and passed end-of-year examinations,
May your children be blessed in abundance in the year ahead, and may they continue to discover the Hand of God
in their lives and studies.
Since our Emmaus community has grown so tremendously, praise the Lord, it has become impossible to replicate the newsletter for everyone. Thus, it goes out on e-mail, and we humbly ask those who have computers to print a copy or two for those whom you know do not. In this way as many as possible can be reached.
Sponsoring someone for the next Walks?
Some guidelines, in brief:
- Emmaus is designed for active church members and leaders who wish to rekindle their faith or renew their vision; for less active members who are seeking to renew their relationship with God, to grow spiritually and to discover the firm foundation of their faith.
- The Walk is a common meeting ground for all Christians, to celebrate their unity in Christ and feel they can learn from one another, without regard to labels and camps.
- Emmaus is for building faith and discipleship, and not for working through grief or psychological problems. The teams are not trained for counseling.
- Emmaus is for fostering unity in Christ, not for theological debate, through fostering appreciation and openness to the various perspectives of believers. Bring a spirit of Christian tolerance and charity toward others of different traditions.
- The Walk is not a relaxing retreat, but a concentrated 3-day course.
- Bring only empty hands, an open hearts and a spirit of charity.
to all our Emmaus family members celebrating
birthdays and anniversaries during the months
of January, February and March.
May you be blessed with good health,
peace and the Joy of the Lord.
Emmaus Walks #37 and #38
Remember how awesome and emotionally delightful it was on your own pilgrim Walk when members of the community, family and friends …
- Stood along the verandah and sang you into the Conference Room at “Send-off” on Thursday evening after supper (6pm);
- filled the Chapel at Candlelight on Saturday night (6.30pm for 9);
- came to support you and to share Holy Communion with you at Closing on Sunday afternoon (2.30pm)?
.. a very special time for all pilgrims.
You can do the same for the next pilgrims.
So why not come along, make it special for them.
See you there!
Even better ... sponsor someone ... and then be there!
There are various ways of participating on Walks, even if you are not on team or unable to get there:
- Pray for the new Lay Directors. For the next Walks they are Deon van der Merwe and Jenny van Niekerk.
- Pray for the team members and pilgrims.
- Contact Shaun, email@example.com or 082 979 9412, and take a time slot in the 72 hr prayer vigil. Emmaus runs on prayer.
Did you know ...? ... there is a ‘Bring and share’ PARTY for all community members who attend Saturday night Candlelight, in the Diningroom at Sumcay, - every Walk!? This is a super opportunity to bring some yummy finger things to share, and something to drink, and meet with members of the community. You may find some who were at your Table on your pilgrim Walk, or meet some you never knew were Emmaus-ítes.
It is a great experience, so come prepared, and after Candlelight, instead of hanging around outside the Chapel – where silence is imperative - dash over to the Diningroom and chatter all you want.
Please attend, but PLEASE REMEMBER to clean up afterwards!!!
(This will be your agape gift to the teams working on the Walk.) These Teams do not have the time to clear away community leftover foods or unwashed plates or glasses. They have their hands full with clearing up after the pilgrim party, and heading for only a few hours sleep before Las Mananitas. THANKS for your co-operation. C U there!!
Date Added: 2007-12-09